Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Till death do us part...

I don't know, maybe it's me, maybe I'm the only one that thinks like this. Maybe I'm the asshole.

Let me explain.

I have very few friends.

Okay, some of you that know me well are probably thinking, "you, only a few friends? PLEASE." Okay, it's true, there are more people that know me and hang out with me than that know you, and I know many people. But, when it comes to real friends, people that i truly care about, and truly care for me, I have a few. Sure, I'll party with tons of people, I'll make an amazing drink with my own booze for anyone that works into my apartment, or at least when i lived in one, but that doesn't make that person someone i care about, that just makes them someone I've made a drink for. I'm talking about people that will do anything for me, anything at all, no matter what lenghts they have to go to to do it.

These are the people I expect more from.

To steal a line from one of my best friends, I expect greatness from my real friends. I expect them to be as great as possible when it deals with things that involve the both of us, and especially things that involve themselves. I don't expect perfection, no one is perfect, not even myself, I expect greatness. Greatness can be described as many things. Greatness is going to a bar or a club that you fucking hate with someone who really wants to go just because they want to. Greatness is driving two hours and sacrificing pay and work time just to spend 5 hours with a person. Greatness is driving an hour and a half to pick up your friend after he gets kicked out of his house, only to have to drive another hour and a half back. Greatness is finding out that your friend is upset that someone wished all her friends a happy birthday, but not her, and you going out of your way and making sure that someone that made your fried upset wishes that person a happy B-Day but never taking any credit for it. Greatness is not seeing someone for months or even years, and being able to pick right back up where you left off the second you see them again.

These things define what makes a friend great.

These are the attributes I look for in a real friend that truly gives a double-fuck about me.

Being sick is no excuse to abandon greatness, anything less than death bed warrants no pardon.

Maybe I'm coming off too snotty, but it's what I give that makes me want in return. Ask any of the people I've come into contact with that I still talk to, ask any one of them that considers me a good friend, I practice what I preach to umpteenth degree. I sacrifice for my friends, I care about my friends and I live and die with their struggles.

Being a great friend means only wanting one thing in return for all the sacrifices and hard work and late nights spent listening and talking and helping.

The only thing a great friend wants in return is simple.

Greatness.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

picking my ass up in the middle of north ass jersey after i totaled that car. <3