Friday, August 8, 2008

Fuck the glam rock...

It's a Sunday afternoon, and I can think of a million places I'd rather be then at work, but at work I am.

Four or five of us are sitting at the bar, trying to get a few more seconds of relaxation before the horde of costumers looking for their "Mid Well Fillets", and unlimited refills on lemon water come barreling through the double doors at the front of the Restaurant.

It's about 1:55, and we open at 2:00, but no one really wants to move or talk, just sit and relax. No one, except Ted, Ted wants human contact, and he wants to talk. Quick back story about Ted, Ted was in a boy band in high school, Ted thinks he can sing, and thinks he looks good, real good. He isn't a bragger per se, he just lives in his own small world, and thinks everything he cares about we all care about. He is like the little puppy that constantly wants to play fetch, even after hours of catching a Frisbee, he can't read a situation, and can never tell when someone isn't interested in what he is talking about.

Now that the wikipedi biography on Ted is out there, you know what we are dealing with. Ted comes up to us sitting at the bar relaxing and he immediately shakes hands with everyone. The most awkward, tilted terrible hand shake next to a lip wrist you can get. I must have hit the daily Ted jackpot, because he sits right next to me.

"Whats up Mike, how you doing today?"

"I'm good Ted, just relaxing before the onslaught."

"I hear that Mike."

(I mumble something incoherent, but just enough to show I've heard what he said, I'm hoping this means it's all over)

"I see you went with the slick back look with your hair there Mike."

Looks like I wasn't lucky enough

"Ya know Ted, I just kind of did it real quick because I was running late."

"No, I mean I see what you did, but you should try spiking your hair like I do, because my hair looks good."

(beat)

"I gotta go make sure my section's ready Ted."

I get up and walk towards my tables, and all I can wonder is who I pissed off to deserve to win the Ted jackpot...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want my 3 minutes back please.

Nick said...

I'd take the kids hiding behind there keyboards as a complement mike.

You know you've assumed some sort of status when you have critics, or kids who want to try to hurt your feelings.

-Nick